Watch this now and share it!

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

REEEE-LAAAXX


Hey ya'll, I'm back to reality...freezing cold weather and running my arse off. So, vacationing in Mexico at a beach front resort in February does NOT suck. Top that off with 5 other lovely ladies, endless hysterical conversations, and a steady stream of adult beverages at your beckon call. I'm not going to lie - it was pretty awesome. My BFF Amanda is getting hitched in June and this was her bachelorette extravaganza trip!

I'm a pretty efficient luggage packer - I have a "no-check" rule pretty much no matter the trip length. As I was getting ready to pack my carry-on, I laid out all my contents: 3 bathing suits - check; shorts/tank tops - check; flirty dresses - check; 3oz toiletry rations - check...and work-out clothes, um...what to do?? I am going to relax, veg and hang out with my awesome girls -- do I really want to be the only one working out?? The resort did have a gym after all...but ugh. Well, I decide that I would fold up my work-out gear into a little pile and decide in the morning, last minute. So needless to say the 5 inches of snow outside on the morning of my departure only left me wanting as much sun as possible, so I threw on my flip flops and used the extra space for another pair of sandals instead! Six days sans running wasn't going to kill me.

Of course when I arrived to meet the girls, they all said - "we thought since you've been training you were for sure going to workout, so we brought our stuff!" Figures. Well, I did end up working out...albiet vacation-style. Yoga with Javier was at 8:15am beach side -- which yes, is early for vacation, but we learned pretty quick we had to be strategic in gaining the best lounge chair position around the pool. If you waited after breakfast to stake your claim, your view was relegated to the kiddie pool - not my idea of people watching and WAY too far from the beverages. So, I would get up around 7:4am, grab towels at the pool hut and claim 6 sun loungers for the rest of the day. Next stop: a little downward dog with Javier on the beach --wait, that sounded bad -- I mean, relaxing yoga by the ocean. Then it was breakfast buffet, sun, more lounging, and of course...pre-lunch beverages. Then at 12:30pm it was time for Francisco and Christian's daily water "eh-roh-beeks" (use your best Mexican accent here). This is my kind of eh-roh-beeks. One gets very tan and very nice ab development working at a beach resort everyday...I'm just sayin'. After such a strenuous, exhausting water workout, it was all I could do to muster up the strength to work my way 20 feet to the swim-up bar and pick up my margarita glass - whew!

Ok, so before you kill me...I know not everyone is able to go on a beach vacation in February, but in all fairness I have resumed my normal butt-in-gear routine. I'm back running on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, and strength training Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also ran the Charles Harris 10K Run for Leukemia this morming since I figured it would be a good post-vacation run and would give me some pre-race practice. It was good to get out there and feel the jitters of race day and the swarms of people. I tried mentally to get in the groove right from the start, but honestly it was so *freaking* cold and windy (in the 20s) I felt like it was only after mile 2 that I began to feel my legs and brain warm up. I didn't do horribly and ended up with a little over a 10 minute mile alternating running/walking. (Given my knee issues, I've been training all season according to the Jeff Galloway method). My team mates Carol and Kristen ran the race too and we had a little silliness post-race. Check us out:
Well good people...it's time to rest up this weekend and back to the grind on Monday. And oh, we're having our TNT Mardi Gras for a Cause fundraiser 6-8pm at Park Tavern Tuesday, March 2. Come out if you can for a night of fun, music and drinks to benefit The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. $20 bucks gets you a wristband for beer and wine and there's a silent auction too. I'll be there - will you??!

No comments:

Post a Comment